On May 13, 2013, the 6th Rhode Island Docent Symposium, an assembly of docents, guides, and educators from southeastern New England, will be held at Blithewold Mansion in Bristol, RI.
Some of you may remember the last (and very well-received) symposium, which was held at the RISD Museum at the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence, and attracted over 150 attendees from nearly 25 different institutions.We’re pleased that, once again, docents, guides, and educators from Rhode Island, and from our neighbors in Eastern Connecticut and Southeastern Massachusetts, will be able to come together and spend a day nurturing their craft and learning from special speakers and from each other.
Our planning committee from the RI Historical Society, the RISD Museum at the Rhode Island School of Design, Blithewold Mansion, the New Bedford Whaling Museum, Newport Restoration Foundation, and Slater Mill Museum is hard at work planning a great day for you at the beautiful ocean-side (and gloriously-gardened!) Blithewold facility.
Sneak Peak. We have two very exciting panels planned:
- A panel on the latest technology being used in museum tourism—including iPod/iPhone apps—and how it will enhance the docent role.
- A panel of schoolteachers who will talk about what’s important for them and their students when they tour sites like yours (and you’ll have lots of opportunity to ask questions).
So what do you need to do right now?
- Write this date on your calendar: May 13, 2013.
- If you would like to receive future updates from the Docent Symposium planning committee, send an email to email@example.com and give us your name, mailing address, and the organization for which you provide docent, guide, or educational services.
- Finally, if you have friends who are docents, guides, or educators at other institutions, please let them know about this event. We want to make sure we reach everyone who might be interested!!